Progress! Sub-floor up, insulation out, holes filled, & rust treated.

Making progress!  We have officially completed the demolition phase of the skoolie conversion! Below you can see the first wood subfloor piece to come out.  Underneath, you can get a glimpse at our rust situation.  I feel like it was about par for the course.img_1433

img_1436More rust exposed. img_1642Ceiling panels coming down.  We learned a little too late that we were doing this the hard way.  It may sound silly  but we thought all of the screws in the ceiling were philips head screws that were slightly stripped.  We were able to remove most of them with the philips head and then for the remaining ones, we used the angle grinder and cut slits in them to make them accept a flat head screwdriver.  When we were almost finished, a friend told us we had been using the wrong drill bit the whole time.  We should have been using the square headed drill bit.  Dope.img_1730Insulation was a bitch.  Little particles floating in the air were easy to get all over our faces and in our lungs.  We wore masks and gloves for most of the fiberglass removal but still felt itchy afterward.

img_1734Here is is cleaned out!  At this point, we were thinking of leaving the side walls in because they were welded at the top.  We were going to lift them, spray foam insulate underneath, and reattach them (and paint them.)  We decided later to proceed to cut them out with the angle grinder.  It is a good thing we did because it exposed some more rust spots that needed to be treated with rust converter.img_1363Our Nature’s Head Dry Composting toilet arrived!!!  Very Excited to have that large purchase out of the way.img_1345Removing stickers with a heat gun and scraper attachment.

screen-shot-2016-11-26-at-3-35-01-pmBefore and after the rust converter was applied.  Find the product we used here This stuff was really neat!  It goes on milky white and then turns any rust black as it changes its chemical composition and prevents further rusting.screen-shot-2016-11-26-at-3-34-51-pmNext, we needed to fill the holes.  For the small bus seat bolt holes, we used 100% silicone which is waterproof.  Then, for the larger holes, we patched them with scrap metal and used JB Weld.

Finally, we painted a coat of Rustoleum in bright, easy to see, Safety Blue on the floor.  This felt like a big step for us since we are starting to add things back IN to the bus.

img_1843

❤ Tiff

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s